Journal of a Junkie...This blog tracks the random thoughts and feelings as well as my journey to sobriety...dealing with depression, anxiety and addiction. Sharing my story, hoping that it helps others dealing with the same disease(s).

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Do the Meds Really Help You?

For me, the answer is...YeS! Through my treatment and being "forced" (for lack of a better word) to contemplate over past behaviors, I learned that I was not coping with my emotions, instead I was masking them with other mood altering substances...such as tobacco, alcohol, and yes, drugs. The anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications truly help me to process thoughts, feelings and emotions in healthy ways...I don't even want to drink, let alone do drugs...even at my lowest points. Smoking...well, that continues to be a struggle, but not as much as it used to be...

Suffering from depression and anxiety doesn't have to be a bad thing, if you seek the help you need from doctors. Banner hospitals has a great program. I am indebted to the staff at Banner Thunderbird for all that they did for me. The support they offer the patients is amazing. I never felt judged and they never mistreated me. Only my mental and emotional health, welfare and safety were their concerns.  I can never thank them enough for giving me "Me" back.

A special shout out to Kuba...Thank you for your late night folk-tales and metaphors and pep-talks...You really made me think about the situation I have gotten myself in, and how to learn and grow from this situation. Thank you.

Serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment