Journal of a Junkie...This blog tracks the random thoughts and feelings as well as my journey to sobriety...dealing with depression, anxiety and addiction. Sharing my story, hoping that it helps others dealing with the same disease(s).

Friday, November 5, 2010

Better Days Ahead

**this blog is dedicated to my dad...He is my Absolem in my Underland...I love you Daddy**

After weeks of awkwardness with my family, everything came to blows Tuesday...and it was a bit shakey for a few days...but after quite a lengthy conversation with my dad (four hours to be exact) I feel as though he still believes in me...and most importantly...he still loves me...

Addiction and Depression not only affect the user, but also has a huge impact on the family. Addiction and Depression hurts the families more sometimes than the addict themselves. It is because of this that support groups were also created to support the families learn how to cope with and deal with the "addict" as well as how families can help the addict. My uncle suggested to my dad that they attend Al-anon to help understand what path lies ahead for me in recovery as well as how they can process the emotions they are feeling for the hurt that I have caused them. I am so grateful that my family is willing to do this not only for themselves, but for me as well.

Al-anon and Alateen offer friends and families of alcoholics (and addicts) strength and hope. "It is estimated that each alcoholic (addict) affects the lives of at least four other people... alcoholism (addiction) is truly a family disease." (Al-Anon)  Al-anon offers support to the friends and families to help their relationship with the alcoholic/addict whether or not they are still drinking/using. 

I know that there is much Serenity and many.......Better Days Ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment